Thursday, July 28, 2011

Mag REv HQ @ Hackney City Farm

This is Mag Rev UK's Head Office at Hackney City Farm.  It is lovely working there, so close to the chaos of the city but quiet and like being out in the country.   Sheep, goats, ducks and chickens wander around not more than 20 meters from busy Hackney Road.  The office is a renovated shipping container.  On the roof is a garden with a variety of native flowers.  They look like weeds to me, only because in Australia they probably are considered weeds, but it's good to be getting to know a new native ecosystem.  The idea of a "weed" is a bit strange anyway.

I really love being distracted from my computer screen by the braying donkey, Larry.  He seems so sad & lonely but is totally cool with letting everyone know.  Sometimes when visitors are trying to talk to him, he jut lets out a long winded fart to show his disapproval. 


Through our office window there are two enormous ginger pigs, whose names I am yet to find out.  They don't do much except sleep and smile.  I can really see where the term "happy as a pig in shit" came from.

In the office there are usually between 3 and 5 of us, which is pretty tight at times in a little shipping container.  But I'm really impressed with the way Mag Rev work with their volunteers.  All volunteers are involved with discussions on projects and are found a bicycle or laptop if they don't already have one.  Lunch is also provided by the Mag Rev team, which is really impressive considering how small they are.  There is no hierarchy - Mag Rev actively stamp out any and reference to such a structure -  all people involved are given the opportunity to get involved with great stuff, as well as making the coffee and preparing lunch for everyone.  
Babs and Adam have also put me up in their homes (I've just moved into my own room around the corner from the office).  So I am as pleased as a pig :)

No comments:

Post a Comment