Monday, July 25, 2011

Back from Secret Garden Party

I've been away from the Mag Rev crew for about 5 days working with the Green Stewards (who incidentally have nothing to do with greening the festival) and I have a few sights to report on - things that were interesting and perhaps a few thoughts along the way.
"Josephine the Machine" by Circus Kineti
Firstly though, there was a very impressive pedal powered water sculpture Distillery Machine by Circus Kinetica and Courvoisier.  On top of the hill they placed a steam punk styled bar, with various pedal contraptions that moved water and power around to generator the kinetic sculpture.  I've been thinking lately that kinetic sculptures are my new favourite thing and this sculpture only reiterates this. 
    One of the pedal generators was collating the amount of miles that punters put into the machine.  I guessed around 270 miles - waiting to here back about the total.  The Small World Stage was a solar powered venue that provided a lovely atmosphere - though I didn't make it there at night time.  I did have my morning breakfast there and feel much at home.  I also enjoyed the Barbe Bleue puppet show.  Puppets are cool.
Music I saw and liked was few and far between actually.  Top of the list was The Scrumpettes (3 gals, 3 ukes), Stealing Sheep (magical doom siren esk vocals), Secret Sisters (sad country songs) and Cakes & Ale (a very motley crew indeed).  All in all, it seems I'm mostly attracted to woman in harmony at the moment.

While having my breakfast one morning, I was reading Positive News, a novel concept in itself, and I came across this is rubbish who are currently hosting FEASTS across Wales with donated and reacquired food.  There was a picture of people enjoying an open air banquet in the sun.  I like their style. 
Other groups doing this type of thing are Dinner Exchange (London) and Kumera Soupie (Newcastle, Australia).
Artisans that captured my heart were Pretty Rubbish and Naturally Bohemian - talented lasses with lace and pins.
A great job to all the workers at Network Recycling, who separated the waste when others were too off their face to care.  It is the ugly side of festivals that is not for the faint hearted.
I had a good laugh with PooTopia - the onsite composting toilet team: eco loos, always clean, always with loo roll, established 2002 (though I think that is a pun).  They have a DJ stage and rap about poo and charge 2 to use their facilities.  It was very funny hanging out and listening to them and their big social experiment.  They're Australian - hence the sensibility towards talking about poo.  Bill from PooTopia & I were born in the same hospital, though I don''t know how our conservation got there.  There's a bit on Youtube that will give a taste of the shit they do (no pun intended). 
More to come as my brain unfolds.....x








No comments:

Post a Comment